My name is Sterling, I'm 22-years-old, and I am the birthmother to the most gorgeous little boy in the world. I started this blog to share my experiences, thoughts, and help myself move forward after placing my sweet little boy. If this is your first time visiting my blog, I invite you to read my story (top of the left column). Feel free to comment with questions or requests. If you follow me, I'll follow you!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

scarlet letter, or......

Superwoman?

I think the latter.

I was talking to my mom tonight, and the conversation went something like this -
{my mom is a very wise woman, and I value what she says so much}

Me: It's not that I WANT to be in a high position in the church, I just don't think I'd ever be able to be called to one, 'cause people would say something like, "Oh, the second-counselor in the General Young Women's presidency had a baby out of wedlock, she's not a good example to young women."
My Awesome Mom: Or, they'd more likely say, "Wow, what a great example! She made a mistake, but made a selfless, righteous choice in placing her baby for adoption and strengthening her testimony in the process."  You could help a lot of girls who feel lost.
{insert warm fuzzy feelings here}
I love my mom. Walking down the street, nobody would be able to look at her and know that she was divorced, widowed, had a son go off the deep end, and a daughter have a child out of wedlock. Nowhere on her does she wear a scarlet letter. Instead, I'm pretty convinced that she secretly has a Superwoman symbol underneath her shirt.


3 comments:

  1. Is it great to have individuals who have been obedient through and through like Mormon, Moroni, Nephi...yes...but the Lord needs men and women like Alma, and Paul. The similarities between these examples is how each indiviual uses the atonement. Each person requires the savior no matter the choices made in their life. Whether you are Mormon or Alma it doesn't matter in the end you are still an instrument in the hands of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even thought of that... I kept trying to think of great spiritual leaders who hadn't always been on the straight and narrow.. But of course! Some of the greatest prophets made complete life changes! Thank you, Dave and Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for comment on my blog. I thought I'd return the favor. I've thought the exact same way. But once you are fully forgiven of your sins, the Lord remembers them no more.
    On Que&Brittany's adoption blog they posted this:
    "The Lord gives compensating blessings to those who sacrifice their will to His. Speaking messianically, the prophet Isaiah proclaimed, “The Lord hath anointed me … to give … beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness” (Isaiah 61:1, 3). In placing their faith in the Lord as they make a truly selfless choice, many birth mothers have found that from the ashes of their deepest pain, He has made something beautiful."

    When sharing your experience it's always good to choose your words wisely. And to remember your story is about adoption and not about promoting the sin. I remember learning that at the adoption conference last year. You and your mother are BOTH superwomen. For everything that you have both been through, it's obvious that you are both strong women.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails